Memphis Conference YOUTH MINISTRY now being directed and coordinated by team of adult leaders
Rev. Amanda Crice is part of a seven-member team leading youth ministry in the Memphis Conference during 2018-19. The group met in July with Bishop Bill McAlilly at Lakeshore Camp and Retreat Center in Eva, Tennessee, to design and strategize leadership and activities. (Submitted photo)
Beginning this fall, youth ministry in the Memphis Conference of The United Methodist Church is operating under a new team-based model of leadership.
Youth workers and leaders from across the Memphis Conference (West Tennessee and Western Kentucky) met in July with Bishop William T. (Bill) McAlilly to design and strategize a youth ministry structure that continues to produce “outreach, engagement and growth,” according to Rev. Amanda Hartmann Westmoreland, a member of the new team.
CONFERENCE YOUTH MINISTRY ACTIVITIES
Activities that make up conference youth ministry include leadership development, lay servant ministry, retreat opportunities and Youth Annual Gathering.
CONFERENCE YOUTH LEADERSHIP TEAM (CYLT)
The team-based model of leadership brings “different gifts and areas of expertise” to coordinate and direct youth ministry and will be “faithful and fruitful” for the future, explained Westmoreland.
Adult members of the 2018-19 CYLT include (alpha order):
- Rev. Amanda Crice: visioning and annual conference planning
- Susan Davidson: youth lay servant training, Center for Youth Ministry Training connector, small membership church connector
- Tiffany Dowdy: mission/outreach focus, Youth Annual Gathering design, Conference Youth Council handbook and leadership development
- Bryant Fisher: youth lay servant training, Center for Youth Ministry Training connector
- Deech Kirk: general visioning
- Josh Shaw: Conference Youth Council programming, youth leadership development
- Rev. Amanda Hartmann Westmoreland: administration, communications, See All The People retreat leadership
The 2018-19 CYC includes 15 junior and senior high school youth from all four districts of the Memphis Conference. They received training in August.
July 12 was the deadline for youth to apply for a spot on the CYC. Click here to read about the application process announced in June.
Members of the 2018-19 CYC are (alpha order):
- Sydney Bevis, Dyersburg First UMC, Mississippi River District
- Jack Cocke, Braden UMC, Metro District
- Emma Cody, Bolivar UMC, Tennessee River District
- David Cox, Emmanuel UMC, Metro District
- Kelly Greer, Shiloh UMC, Metro District
- Owen Jackson, Covenant UMC, Metro District
- Waide Jackson, Covenant UMC, Metro District
- Larson King, McKenzie First UMC, Tennessee River District
- Lauren Nicell, Germantown UMC, Metro District
- James Pearson, Cypress UMC, Mississippi River District
- Ben Ramer, Lexington First UMC, Tennessee River District
- Daniel Sills, Calvert City UMC, Purchase District
- Vincent Stanfill, New Hope UMC, Tennessee River District
- Lilly Swanz, Broadway UMC, Purchase District
- Kendall Wheeler, South Pleasant Grove UMC, Purchase District
For more information about the CYLT or CYC, contact Westmoreland at firstname.lastname@example.org
~Compiled by Lane Gardner Camp, Director of Communications