Memphis Conference offers ways to be in ministry to survivors of recent storms affecting Southeast U.S.
Here’s how the Disaster Response Ministry of the Memphis Conference of The United Methodist Church is organizing to help survivors of recent hurricanes (Florence and Michael). This is the United Methodist connection at work.
HOW TO HELP
>Continue to pray for survivors and responders (their safety and well-being) and all who have suffered loss and/or damage.
>Assemble relief kits and purchase other supplies (specifically listed below) to donate:
- Hygiene kits | DETAILS
- Cleaning kits | DETAILS
- Tornado buckets | DETAILS Tape list of contents to side of bucket.
- Tarps: 12x16 feet and larger
- 20-inch box fans
- 25-ft\oot extension cords
- 2-gallon garden sprayers
- Square-tipped shovels
- Metal garden rakes
From the below locations, all items will be transported to Forty West Designs in Jackson, TN, on Saturday, Oct. 27, to load for transport to UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) warehouse(s).
Germantown United Methodist Church | 2331 South Germantown Rd. | Germantown, TN 38138 | 901-754-7216
Christ United Methodist Church | 4488 Poplar Ave. | Memphis, TN | 901-683-3521 |
Drop off items at front of church (under breezeway) Mon-Thur 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. and Friday 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.
Mississippi River District:
Mississippi River District Office |1382 West Church St, Alamo, TN 38001 | 731-696-4117
Omni Tech | 1050 S. Main, Dyersburg, TN | 1050 South Main St, Dyersburg, TN |
5 to 8 p.m. each weekday. Go to lower rear building and enter at large rollup bay door.
Benton First United Methodist Church | 845 US Hwy 641 Spur, Benton, KY | 270-527-3990
Tennessee River District:
Tennessee River District Office | 24 Corporate Blvd., Jackson, TN | 731-660-1376
Monday - Thursday: 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. | Friday: 8:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
>Make financial donations
- Mail to conference treasurer's office and designate funds accordingly | Memphis Conference Treasurer’s Office
- Remit via church’s monthly tithing payment. | Designate #901670 U.S Disaster Response Advance and/or #901440 Material Resources Advance.
- Make online donations to United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR) | Click here for #901670 U.S. Disaster Response Advance. | Click here for #901440 Material Resources Advance.
Trip Dates: Nov. 25-30, 2018
- Nov. 1 is DEADLINE to register
- Exact location and more details will be known as dates get closer
- ERT training/certification not required
- Cost: $250.00 per person (materials, housing and food)
- To register or for more information, contact Rev. Brian Stahl | email@example.com | 731-592-8746
To deploy to help after these and other storms, individuals must be Early Response Team (ERT)-trained and possess a current ERT badge. The Memphis Conference must first be invited to respond by the affected conferences. Do not self-deploy!
Two southeast conferences are ready to receive ERTs in the aftermath of Hurricanes Florence and Michael:
- The South Carolina Conference of The United Methodist Church is now ready to receive and requesting Early Response Teams (ERTs). They require that the team leader be ERT leader-trained.
- The North Carolina Conference of The United Methodist Church is now ready to receive and requesting Early Response Teams (ERTs). At least one person on each team must be ERT-trained.
- Metro District Disaster Response Coordinators - Terry Renoux | 901-466-7196 | firstname.lastname@example.org AND Nigel Bowen | 901-373-5964 | NGB1@yahoo.com
- Mississippi River District Disaster Response Coordinator - Brian Stahl | 731-592-8746 | email@example.com
- Tennessee River District Disaster Response Coordinator - Frank Hartman | 731-986-4599 | firstname.lastname@example.org
- Purchase District Disaster Response Coordinator - Brad Colson | 270-527-1939 | email@example.com
An Early Response Team (ERT) training class is set for Saturday, Oct. 20, at Aldersgate United Methodist Church in Jackson, Tennessee. CLICK HERE for details and how to register.
- Elyse Bell, Memphis Conference Director of Missional Engagement AND Chair of Memphis Conference Disaster Response Committee: firstname.lastname@example.org | 731-664-8480
- Rev. Robert Craig, Nashville Episcopal Area Coordinator of Disaster Response Ministries: email@example.com | 731-538-9970
- Dr. Joe Geary, Memphis Conference Director of Connectional Ministries: firstname.lastname@example.org | 731-664-8480