Marshall County, Kentucky, benefits from 'Great Commission Day' coordinated by Benton First UMC
Benton First United Methodist Church's Great Commission Day “turned out to be a beautiful, great day to celebrate being the Lord’s hands and feet in our community.”
That’s according to Jim and Dianna Ealey, members who coordinated the Sept. 7 Marshall County event for the Benton, Kentucky, church.
Click HERE to watch video of Sept 7 event.
“Our theme of Hebrews 13:16 (And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased) turned out to be a huge blessing as five churches and an estimated 200 people came together to unite and serve Jesus,” reported the Ealeys.
Great Commission Day (GCD) is a day of mission held annually in Marshall County, usually on the first Saturday of September, explained Dr. David Russell, pastor of Benton First United Methodist Church (UMC).
“This event originated at Benton First UMC, but over the years, other churches in the community have joined in,” said Russell.
Other churches that participated with Benton First UMC this year were Benton First Christian Church, Benton First Baptist Church (first year), Benton First Missionary Baptist Church (new church campus is next door to Benton First UMC) and Central Church of Christ.
The day began with breakfast at Benton First UMC, followed by a brief time of music and prayer. Teams then dispersed to various work projects:
- In-A-Fix - 11 teams spread out to do household repairs and clean up work for Marshall County residents in need
- Build-A-Bed - Volunteers built bunk beds to be sent to Eastern Kentucky for families without enough beds for all their children
- Come And Get It - Just like a yard sale, except donated items were given away to those in need, rather than sold
- Meals on Wheels – Volunteers delivered meals to shut ins, elderly and residents at former Lakeland Wesley Village
- Food Pantry – Collections and donations from participating churches were sorted and used to stock four area food banks and fill bags for residents of former Lakeland Wesley Village
- Visitation – Volunteers visited persons in area nursing homes and elder care facilities
- Victory Through Grace - Volunteers did yard work and painting at this faith-based residence for women freed from sex trafficking
- Greeting Cards – Volunteers prepared cards to be used by participating churches with shut-in ministries
- Bags of Love – Volunteers coordinated bags of items for children who experience traumatic events
- New to You Thrift Shop – Volunteers donated time at this ministry of the United Methodist Churches of Marshall County
Click HERE to watch video of Sept. 7 event.