How to help NOW with Hurricane IRMA disaster:
The Memphis Conference of The United Methodist Church had an incredible response in late August and early September to an appeal for cleaning kits and monetary donations for Hurricane Harvey survivors in Texas and Louisiana.
(Click here to read about the Memphis Conference response to the Harvey disaster.)
The conference’s first tractor trailer load of relief supplies arrived at the UMCOR (United Methodist Committee on Relief) Depot in Baldwin, Louisiana, on Sept. 13. Additionally, as of Sept. 14, more than $50,000 has been given to UMCOR directly and through our conference. UMCOR is The United Methodist Church's humanitarian relief and disaster response agency that works not just in the United States, but around the world.
Soon after Harvey’s devastation, Hurricane/Tropical Storm Irma struck Florida, the Southeast U.S. and U.S. territories in the Caribbean. UMCOR is now calling for cleaning kits for Irma survivors. Such is the unprecedented need for assistance due to the 1-2 punch from these storms.
As the scripture says, "Let us not grow weary in doing good for in due season we shall reap the harvest." That harvest for us is knowing that we willingly entered into human suffering and lived out the gospel to love our neighbor.
We are continuing to coordinate our response with the Tennessee Conference and Nashville Episcopal Area.
~Dr. Joe Geary, Memphis Conference Director of Connectional Ministries
~Rev. Robert Craig, Memphis Conference Coordinator of Disaster Relief
HOW TO HELP
Continue to pray for survivors and responders (their safety and well-being) and all who have suffered loss and/or damage.
Donate cleaning kits.
- Following the Harvey relief effort, the Memphis Conference was left with enough cleaning kits on the loading dock in Jackson, Tennessee, to fill 1/2 of another tractor trailer. We need approximately 800 additional cleaning kits (buckets) to fill a truck that UMCOR has asked us to deliver to its depot in Decatur, Alabama – to serve Irma survivors.
- Cleaning Kit Assembly Instructions (PDF) | Cleaning Kit Instructional Video | Shipping costs
- Deliver kits (buckets) to one of the following Memphis Conference locations by no later than noon, Monday, Sept. 25. Feel free to use the closest, most convenient location. CALL FIRST to confirm hours before making delivery OR contact your district office about times.
St. Paul United Methodist Church | 2949 Davies Plantation Rd. | Lakeland, TN | 901-387-0007
Christ United Methodist Church | 4488 Poplar Ave. | Memphis, TN | 901-683-3521
Mississippi River District:
Mississippi River District Office |1382 West Church St, Alamo, TN 38001 | 731-696-4117
Pleasant Valley UMC (Obion Co.) | 1422 Pleasant Valley, Union City, TN | 901-484-9852
Trenton First UMC (Gibson Co.) | 500 S. College St., Trenton, TN | 731-676-2412
McCabe UMC (Weakley Co.) | 215 Hyndsver Rd., Martin, TN | 615-927-9913
(Former) Brownsville District Office | 1489 E. Main St., Brownsville, TN | 731-780-0873
Benton First United Methodist Church | 845 US Hwy 641 Spur, Benton, KY | 270-527-3990
Tennessee River District:
Tennessee River District Office | 24 Corporate Blvd., Jackson, TN | 731-660-1376
Make financial donations.
- Mail or deliver donation directly to the Memphis Conference Treasurer’s Office and designate the funds accordingly.
- Make an online donation to UMCOR’s U.S. Disaster Response. Click here for Advance # 901670.
- Send donation via your church’s monthly conference apportionment remittance (designating for the Advance).
To deploy to help after Storms Harvey and Irma (or to help following other disasters), individuals must be ERT-trained and possess a current ERT badge. Also, the Memphis Conference must first be invited to respond by the affected conferences. Do not self-deploy!
An Early Response Team (ERT) training class is set for Saturday, Oct. 7, at Brownsville First United Methodist Church in Brownsville, Tennessee. CLICK HERE for details and how to register. There are 25 slots. As of Sept. 14, six slots remained.
Possibly two additional ERT training classes are being planned for other dates and locations this fall. Watch for more information.