Helpful security & safety resources for churches:
In the wake of the shooting tragedy at a Texas church on Sunday, Nov. 5, InfoServ at United Methodist Communications has quickly compiled the following list of resources to help protect congregants, pastors and staff:
Local law enforcement are good contacts for training and educating church members about security.
United Methodist Insurance (UMI) offers several memos on risk management and protecting people and property. See the categories in the left menu under Resources for Churches: http://www.uminsure.org/resour
- Under the Protecting Your People section, see the UMI Safety and Insurance Handbook. The chapter on Disaster Preparedness and Risk Management includes a brief section on “Church violence.” http://s3.amazonaws.com/Websit
e_UMI/Resources/documents/UMI_ Safety_and_Insurance_Handbook_ for_Churches.pdf
- “Preparing a Church Emergency Plan" (General Risk Management section) is currently being revised. Here's the previous version: http://s3.amazonaws.com/Websit
- UMI staff may have other resources or suggestions: 855-606-6505
- They might be able to share contact information for workshop leaders who offered training on active shooters. https://cathedraloftherockies.
- Here is video and article about the event: http://www.umc.org/how-we-serv