$37,000 distributed to feeding ministries, thanks to Memphis Conference 2019 'Lenten Hunger Offering'
By Lane Gardner Camp, Director of Communications, Memphis Conference
Memphis Conference United Methodist churches gave $38,154.79 in 2019 to the annual Lenten Hunger Offering (LHO), according to an Aug. 19 report from the Conference Treasurer's Office.
Almost $37,000 of that total has now been distributed to feeding ministries inside and outside the Memphis Conference of The United Methodist Church.
Giving decreased in 2019, compared to 2018 which saw $46,000 distributed.The 2019 campaign ran from Ash Wednesday, March 6, to Easter Sunday, April 21.
The LHO has raised nearly $2.5 million for hunger-relief ministries since its establishment in 1983. It is a unique ministry of the Memphis Conference, planned and executed by the Memphis Conference Connectional Ministries office.
The campaign name was shortened in 2016 from Lenten World Hunger Offering to Lenten Hunger Offering to better communicate local hunger needs alongside world hunger challenges.
Not all monies received to date were distributed because some money was received after the funds distribution date. Remaining funds will be held for the 2020 campaign to pay for minimal expenses and add to the 2020 distribution.
- Metro District - $5,500.00
- Mississippi River District - $5,500.00
- Purchase District - $5,500.00
- Tennessee River District - $5,500.00
- Reelfoot Rural Ministries - $3,700.00
- United Methodist Neighborhood Centers of Memphis - $3,700.00
- Project Peanut Butter - $2,467.00
- Our Father's House - $2,467.00
- Mexico feeding ministry partners - $2,467.00
The following Memphis Conference churches (in alphabetical order) each contributed at least $750 to the 2019 LHO, according to the Memphis Conference Treasurer’s Office:
- Asbury United Methodist Church, Memphis, TN
- Collierville United Methodist Church, Collierville, TN
- Dresden First United Methodist Church, Dresden, TN
- Dyersburg First United Methodist Church, Dyersburg, TN
- Enville United Methodist Church, Enville, TN
- Lone Oak United Methodist Church, Paducah, KY
- Malesus United Methodist Church, Jackson, TN
- Martin First United Methodist Church, Martin, TN
- McLemoresville United Methodist Church, McLemoresville, TN
- Murray First United Methodist Church, Murray, KY
- Paris First United Methodist Church, Paris, TN
- Reidland United Methodist Church, Paducah, KY
- Union City First United Methodist Church, Union City, TN
- Metro District: $8,566.91
- Mississippi River District: $4,879.74
- Purchase District: $9,438.42
- Tennessee River District: $15,269.72
Plans are now underway for the 2020 LHO campaign under the leadership of Dr. Gary Morse. 2020 will be the annual offering's 37th year. Lent in 2020 runs Ash Wednesday, March 6, through Easter Sunday, April 21.