179th Session: Memphis Annual Conference
WRAP-UP NEWS STORY | Click Here
VOTE ON INTENT TO FORM NEW CONFERENCE | Click Here
VIDEO | Coming soon
PHOTO ALBUM (202 images) | Click Here
PHOTO BOOTH (106 images) | Click Here
'SEE ALL THE PEOPLE' RESOURCES | Click Here
CLERGY APPOINTMENTS | Click Here (updated 6.21.18)
WORSHIP LITURGIES | Opening Service | Retirement Service | Memorial Service | Ordination Service | Closing Service
EVALUATION | Click Here | June 30 is deadline to submit.
- All sessions at The Carson Center
- Ordination Service at Broadway United Methodist Church
- Laity and clergy sessions on Sunday, June 3, are not being live streamed
HASHTAGs | #2018MAC | #seeallthepeople | #bettertogether | #seethenewthing | #AroundMemphisConferenceUMC | #MemphisConferenceUMC
THEME | "See All The People" #seeallthepeople | DETAILS
LOCATION | The Carson Center and Broadway United Methodist Church
- Bishop William T. (Bill) McAlilly
- Memphis Annual Conference Planning Team
- Purchase District Host Committee
- Connectional Ministries staff, led by Director Dr. Joe Geary: 731-664-8480, firstname.lastname@example.org
Watch video by "Chuck Knows Church."
ORIENTATION VIDEO for everyone, but especially for delegates -- seasoned delegates & first-time delegates (Length: 6 min/18sec)
1080p | 1080p FB | 720p | 480p SD Wide (resolutions)
AGENDA PARKING & SHUTTLE | DETAILS
HOTELS | DETAILS
Special rate deadlines vary by hotel. Deadlines run from May 2 through May 28.
RESTAURANTS & DINING
- AREA RESTAURANTS | Click HERE for complete list
- FAST FOOD RESTAURANTS within 15 minutes of The Carson Center | Click HERE
- FOOD TRUCK | The Catering Company of Paducah will have a food truck in The Carson Center parking lot during lunch breaks. Find tables and chairs on the Williams Terrace.
OFFERINGS - Make out checks to "Memphis Conference UMC" and designate recipient.
- Mama Lynn Center / Congo Women Arise: Sunday, June 3, laity session AND Sunday evening, June 3, worship
- The Jerusalem Fund: Sunday, June 3, clergy session AND Monday evening, June 4, ordination service ... The Jerusalem Fund is a confidential ministry of the Memphis Conference that provides assistance to Memphis Conference clergy facing short-term financial hardships. The Fund is administered out of the Bishop’s Office. District Superintendents receive requests or may make recommendations for grants. It originated in 1994.
This event takes place Saturday and Sunday, June 2-3, prior to the start of Annual Conference - at Broadway United Methodist Church. May 1 is deadline to register.
SELFIE SCAVENGER HUNT by Conference Youth Council (CYC) | DETAILS
PRAYER WALK by Conference Youth Council (CYC) | DETAILS
WORSHIP SERVICES - See agenda above for times.
- Pre-Conference Worship Service for visiting staff & volunteers: Sunday, June 3, 11 a.m., Ingram Room, The Carson Center. Dr. Rob Martin, superintendent of the Purchase District, will lead worship.
- Opening Worship Service: Sunday, June 3, at The Carson Center ... The festive opening service will feature a celebration of Memphis Conference Ministries, sermon by Rev. Junius B. Dotson, anthems performed by the Purchase District Festival Choir, and commissioning of Project Transformation interns.
- Memorial Service: Monday, June 4, at The Carson Center ... The morning service will remember clergy members and clergy spouses who have died in the past year. Holy Communion will be celebrated. Rev. Stephen Shapard, retiring senior pastor at Bartlett United Methodist Church in Bartlett, TN, will preach.
- Retirement Celebration Service: Monday, June 4, at The Carson Center ... Those retiring from active ministry will be recognized and the "passing of the mantle" will celebrate a new generation of clergy leaders.
- Service of Licensing, Commissioning and Ordination: Monday, June 4, at Broadway United Methodist Church ... Those called to and affirmed for ministry will be licensed as local pastors, commissioned and ordained as deacons and elders. Bishop Bill McAlilly will preach and musicians of Broadway United Methodist Church will be featured.
- Service of Sending: Tuesday, June 5, at The Carson Center ... The closing service will feature a Renewal of the Baptismal Covenant, the fixing of appointments and sending forth.
- Rev. Junius B. Dotson, General Secretary, Discipleship Ministries
- Dotson Bio
- Dotson talks about "See All The People"
- Monday, June 4, and Tuesday, June 5
- See agenda above for times.
DELEGATE BUSINESS MATERIALS
>Orientation VIDEO (6 minutes)
1080p | 1080p FB | 720p | 480p SD Wide (resolutions)
- 2018 Ministry & Board Reports | Click HERE | 58-page PDF includes cover page, table of contents page and 56 numbered pages. Questions? Email email@example.com
- 2019 Special Sunday Requests | Click HERE 5.23.18 | 3-page PDF replaces numbered pages 54-56 (actual pages 56-58) of 2018 Ministry & Board Reports document above.
- Pathways of Planting: 2018 Guide to Starting New Churches in the Memphis and Tennessee Conferences | Click HERE | 46-page PDF referenced in Ministry & Board Reports document above.
- 2019 Narrative & Summary Budget Brochure | Click HERE | 4-page PDF (Print as 4-page booklet on 11x17 paper or as single pages on 8.5x11 paper. Print in color or black&white. Questions? Email ldavis
- 2019 Budget Detail | Click HERE 5.8.18 | 7-page PDF Questions? Email ldavis
- Nominations Report | Click HERE 5.24.18 | 30-page PDF
- Board of Ordained Ministry 2016-20 Nominations Report (supplement to Nominations Report above) | Click HERE 5.30.18 | 1-page PDF
- Resolutions & Petitions (4 received by deadline to submit) | Click HERE | 4-page PDF
- Constitutional Amendment | Click HERE for amendment | Click HERE for explanation of this revote | All seated lay delegates are eligible to vote on this amendment, but among clergy delegates ONLY those in full connection (deacons and elders) are eligible to vote (Paragraph 602, United Methodist Book of Discipline). Green dots with the letter "V" will be affixed on name tags for those clergy that meet this criterion. Questions? Email Conference Secretary Dr. David Russell at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Resolutions for Church Discontinuances | Click HERE 5.21.18 | 7-page PDF
- Resolutions for Charge Line Changes | Click HERE 5.23.18 | 2-page PDF
- Cabinet Resolution: Intent to Form a New Conference | Click HERE 1-page PDF, 5.7.18 Questions? Email email@example.com Items #1-7 below are helpful materials to understand this resolution.
- Where is God Calling Us? - Blog/Video message from Bishop McAlilly, 5.19.18 | Click HERE
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) about Intent to Form a New Conference, 5.18.18 | Click HERE
- New Conference Powerpoint, 5.18.19 | Click HERE
- New Conference PDF, 5.18.19 | Click HERE
- New Conference Financials Powerpoint, 5.18.19 | Click HERE
- New Conference Financials PDF, 5.18.19 | Click HERE
- Shall We Gather at the River? - Blog Message from Bishop McAlilly, 4.17.18 | Click HERE
DISPLAY / EXHIBIT SPACE | DETAILS | Display Request Form
Approximately 50 organizations with ties to The United Methodist Church will have table displays, exhibits and special services set up in The Carson Center.
COKESBURY MINISTRY RESOURCE CENTER | DETAILS
SPECIAL MEAL EVENTS deadlines vary by event
- Sunday, June 3 Laity Dinner | DETAILS (Bring pre-purchased ticket AND glasses for Project 20/20.)
- Monday, June 4 Clergy Women Lunch | DETAILS
- Monday, June 4 Retiree Lunch | DETAILS
- Monday, June 4 Lakeshore Family Fundraising Dinner | DETAILS
- Tuesday, June 5 Lay Servant Lunch | DETAILS
- Tuesday, June 5 Clergy Spouse Lunch | DETAILS
- SEMINARY MEALS | Contact seminary for information.
Youth groups are invited to sign up to work counter shifts.
CHILDCARE | DETAILS open to all; not just for delegates
REGISTRATION: REGISTER ONLINE --- WORD FORM to EMAIL
May 1 is deadline to register.
PRAYER STATIONS | Youth will have “prayer stations” outside The Carson Center (weather permitting) for delegates and guests.
MEDICAL STATION | Look for signage in Carson Center.
CHARGING STATION (for electronic devices) | Look for signage in Carson Center.
PHOTO SESSIONS/BACKDROP | DETAILS
A photographer will be available at scheduled times, but delegates and guests may use the backdrop for photos at other times.
LANGUAGE TRANSLATION | ONLINE SIGNUP: ENGLISH - ESPAÑOL | DOWNLOAD ESPAÑOL WORD FORM TO MAIL IN
Language translation will be available for Spanish-speaking delegates and guests. Sign language for hearing-impaired guests will be provided during the teaching sessions and worship services.
DENMAN AWARD NOMINATIONS | DETAILS
May 3 is deadline to nominate.
RESOLUTIONS & PETITIONS | DETAILS
May 4 is deadline to submit.
CLERGY ROBING INSTRUCTIONS FOR MONDAY EVENING SERVICE | Service of Licensing, Commissioning and Ordination will take place at 7 p.m. on Monday, June 4, in the sanctuary at Broadway United Methodist Church. Clergy may wear robe or alb. Please wear red stole. Clergy may enter the building through the back (Jefferson Street) parking lot entrance. From this door, walk through Whitlow Hall through the double glass doors and turn right to enter the main hall of the building.The elevator will be on the left toward the end of the hall. Take elevator to second floor and follow signs. The stairwell is located past the elevator to the right of Nursery doors. Take staircase to 2nd floor and following signage to appropriate robing room. Once robed, return to first floor hallway by 6:50 for clergy procession. Ushers will be ready to direct you. Robing rooms will be locked during service for safe keeping of purses and clothing.
AREA CABINET PHOTO
Monday, June 4, after close of business: Meet at photo booth/backdrop in lobby of The Carson Center. NO robes.
AV DEADLINES FOR APPROVED
- Deadline to submit AV media is May 1. Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For media specs, contact Rev. Bill Lawson | email@example.com
- For information about approved presenters, contact Robbin McCoy | firstname.lastname@example.org | 731-664-8480
- Live Stream | All sessions at The Carson Center | Ordination Service at Broadway United Methodist Church | The laity and clergy sessions on Sunday, June 3, are not being live streamed
- Social Media | Facebook um_memphisconf | Twitter @UM_MemphisConf | Instagram um_memphisconf
- Mobile App | Find it HERE OR Scroll to bottom of this page for QR code. Friendly suggestion: Download BEFORE you get to annual conference.
- IMPORTANT Message for delegates and visitors: The Memphis Conference Communications Team reminds all attendees that all gatherings -- worship, teaching and business sessions -- are being live-streamed. Anything you say is broadcast for the entire world to see/hear if they choose to tune in. Also, with today's technology, there might be others present at the conference recording presentations and business sessions. Please remember to act and speak as if a camera or microphone is in front of you at all times. The worship and teaching sessions will be recorded and later posted to the conference website for viewing and download. The business sessions are live-streamed, but will not be posted to the conference website. ~ Carla Taylor, Chair, Memphis Conference Communications Team
- XFeb. 15: Deadline for early online request for display space | DETAILS
- XApril 30: Deadline to request display space | DETAILS
- XMay 1: Deadline to register for childcare | DETAILS | ONLINE REGISTRATION | PAPER REGISTRATION
- XMay 1: Deadline to register for June 2-3 Youth Annual Gathering | DETAILS
- XMay 1: Deadline for AV materials from approved presenters | SCROLL UP FOR DETAILS
- XMay 3: Deadline for nominations for Denman awards | DETAILS
- XMay 4: Deadline to submit resolutions & petitions | DETAILS
- XMay 11: Deadline for retirees to RSVP for June 4 retiree lunch | DETAILS
- XMay 11: Deadline for delegates pre-register | INSTRUCTIONS IN ENGLISH | INSTRUCCIONES EN ESPAÑOL
- XMay 20: Deadline to purchase tickets for June 3 laity dinner | DETAILS
- XMay 23: Deadline to register for June 5 clergy spouse lunch | DETAILS
- XMay 25: Deadline to request language translation assistance | ONLINE REGISTRATION: ENGLISH - ESPAÑOL | DOWNLOAD ESPAÑOL WORD FORM TO MAIL IN
- XMay 28: Deadline to register for June 4 clergy women lunch | DETAILS
- XMay 31: Deadline to make reservation for June 5 lay servant lunch | DETAILS
10 a.m. to Noon - Broadway United Methodist Church, Paducah, KY
- XOct. 30, 2017
- XJan. 25, 2018
- XFeb. 22, 2018
- XMarch 22, 2018
- XApril 19, 2018 - Different location: Conference Office, Jackson, TN
- XMay 10, 2018
- ALL lay and clergy delegates (even those who might not attend) should pre-register.
- Deadline to pre-register is Friday, May 11. If you miss the May 11 deadline, print form, complete it, and bring it when you check in.
- If you need childcare or Spanish language translation, scroll down for links to that information.
- Begin with important instructions for delegate pre-registration.
INSTRUCTIONS IN ENGLISH | INSTRUCCIONES EN ESPAÑOL
- Sunday, June 3, 2 to 5 p.m., Carson Center Lobby. Find your district table. (NOTE: Clergy and Lay Sessions are from 3:30 to 5 p.m. on Sunday, June 3. Clergy delegates will meet at the Carson Center. Lay delegates will meet at Broadway United Methodist Church. Van service will be available between the Carson Center and Broadway United Methodist Church for those who want to park at the Carson Center.)
- Monday, June 4, 7:30 a.m. to noon, Carson Center Lobby. Find your district table.
- Any delegates who arrive after check-in tables have closed on Monday will have to locate their district superintendent or the conference secretary to check in and receive voting credentials.
If your previously-downloaded app still shows 2017 logo (last year),
please visit your app store for update.
(In some cases you may need to turn your phone off and back on).
or scan the QR code to download
Memphis Conference MOBILE APP
or scan the QR code to download
with 2018 Annual Conference materials and information.
Friendly suggestion: Download BEFORE you get to Annual Conference.