Sent to Serve: God and Neighbor 2017 MEMPHIS ANNUAL CONFERENCE
What is 'Annual Conference' in The United Methodist Church? Each year an equal number of clergy members
and lay members attend their conference's annual conference session for worship, fellowship, and to conduct
the business of the conference.These sessions include reports of past and ongoing work; adoption of future
goals, programs and budgets; ordination of clergy members as deacons and elders; and election of delegates
to Jurisdictional and General Conferences (every four years).The bishop presides.
CHUCK KNOWS CHURCH explains what an "Annual Conference" is in The United Methodist Church: Watch video.
NEWS STORY - WRAP-UP | Click Here
CLERGY APPOINTMENTS | Click Here | 11-page PDF
PHOTO ALBUM | Click Here
PHOTO BOOTH PHOTOS | Click Here
WORSHIP SERVICE LITURGIES
- Opening Service | Click Here | 7-pg PDF
- Memorial Service | Click Here | 3-pg PDF
- Service of Licensing, Commissioning, Ordination, Fixing of Appointments and Sending Forth | Click Here | 12-pg PDF
'SENT TO SERVE' RESOURCES | sermon starters and video | Click Here
EVALUATION | Click Here | July 11 is deadline to submit.
VIDEO (posted below)
2017 Memphis Annual Conference ORIENTATION VIDEO CLICK HERE
This 5-minutes video provides an overview of need-to-know information.
It is primarily for delegates, but might also be helpful for guests and visitors.
DATES Sunday-Tuesday, June 4-6, 2017
LOCATION Collierville United Methodist Church | 454 W. Poplar Ave., Collierville, TN PLANNED BY
- Bishop William T. (Bill) McAlilly
- Memphis Annual Conference Planning Team
- Collierville United Methodist Church Host Committee
- Connectional Ministries staff, led by acting director Rev. Sky McCracken: firstname.lastname@example.org
HOST CHURCH Collierville United Methodist Church, Collierville, Tennessee
RESTAURANTS Find list HERE (2-page PDF)
TOURISM INFO Find it HERE
AGENDA English (as of 5/31): Find it HERE | Spanish (as of 5/30): Find it HERE
Check back for possible changes.
- Live Stream | DETAILS
- Social Media | Facebook memphisumc | Twitter @UM_MemphisConf | Instagram um_memphisconf
- Mobile App | Find it HERE Friendly suggestion: Download BEFORE you get to annual conference.
- IMPORTANT Message for delegates and visitors:
DELEGATE PRE-REGISTRATION and CHECK-IN
- ALL lay and clergy delegates (even those who might not attend) should pre-register.
- Deadline to pre-register was Monday, May 15.
- If you missed the deadline, please print the form and complete it, then bring it to Conference.
Click here to begin with important instructions.
- Check-in for lay and clergy delegates will be in separate locations on Sunday, June 4, beginning at 2 p.m.
>Clergy delegates Check in at your district table in the Garden Lobby just below Room 210 where you will meet for your Clergy Session at 3:30 p.m.
>Orientation VIDEO | Click HERE. This 5-minute video replaces the pre-conference briefing.
- Ministry and Board Reports | Click HERE | Pages 7-10 were replaced on May 11, 2017. 55-page PDF includes cover page, table of contents page and 53 numbered pages.
- Proposed Standing Rules Changes | Click HERE | 1-page PDF
- 2018 Narrative and Summary Budget Brochure | | Click HERE | 4-page PDF (Print as 4-page booklet on 11x17 paper or as single pages on 8.5x11 paper.
- 2018 Budget Detail | Click HERE | 8-page PDF
- General Conference Constitutional Amendments (5) | UM NEWS SERVICE STORY | MORE DETAILS | DRAFT BALLOT
- Resolutions for Charge Line Changes 2017 | Click HERE | 4-page PDF
- Nominations Report | Click HERE | 2-page PDF
- Congo Women Arise | DETAILS (evening service on Sunday, June 4; morning and evening services on Monday, June 5)
- The Jerusalem Fund | DETAILS (clergy and lay sessions on Sunday, June 4; closing service on Tuesday, June 6)
- Sunday Evening Worship: Sent to Serve (Sunday, June 4, 7 p.m.) Bishop Bill McAlilly will preach and young adult interns will be commissioned. [This event will be a live webcast to 4 satellite locations in the Memphis Conference. Click here for locations and other details.) Click here for the Handout for the Sunday evening service.
- Monday Opening Worship with Communion (Monday, June 5, 8:30 a.m.) Rev. Randy Cooper, pastor of Martin First UMC in Martin, TN, will preach.
- Memorial Worship (Monday, June 5, 1 p.m.) Dr. David Comperry, pastor of Emmanuel United Methodist Church in Memphis, TN, will preach. This service remembers clergy and clergy spouses who have died during the preceding year.
- Monday Evening Worship: THE WAY - A service of recovery (Monday, June 5, 7 p.m.) Worship leaders from ‘The Way’ at St. John’s United Methodist Church in Memphis, Tennessee, will lead.
- Tuesday Evening Service of Licensing, Commissioning, Ordination, Fixing of Appointments and Sending Forth (Tuesday, June 6, 7 p.m.) Bishop Bill McAlilly will lead this service.
- Scott Chrostek, pastor of the downtown campus of United Methodist Church of the Resurrection in Leawood, Kansas, will lead two teaching sessions on Tuesday, June 6, one in the morning and one in the afternoon. | DETAILS
PRAYER ROOM and TUESDAY MORNING COMMUNION SERVICE | DETAILS
BREAKFAST, LUNCH & REFRESHMENTS AT THE CHURCH | DETAILS
PARKING LOT SHUTTLE SCHEDULE | DETAILS
EXHIBITS and DISPLAYS | DETAILS | The deadline to request space (April 30) has passed.
- More than 40 exhibitors will be set up in the gym. | DETAILS
- Blueprint for Wellness screenings (for clergy and spouses on HealthFlex) will be in Rooms 103 and 104. | DETAILS
- Cokesbury 'Ministry Resource Center' will be in the gym. | DETAILS
- Cokesbury can help attendees purchase or order books recommended by Bishop McAlilly. Here is the list. | DETAILS
- Methodist Healthcare screenings will be in Room 101A.
- Mobility Worldwide will construct personal energy transports (PETs) in the gym. | DETAILS
- Project 20/20 will be in the gym to receive glasses donations. | DETAILS
CHARGING STATIONS for electronic devices will be located in the church's Gallery, Bride's Room and Mission Center.
CLERGY ROBING INSTRUCTIONS FOR TUESDAY EVENING SERVICE | Service of Licensing, Commissioning, Ordination, Fixing of Appointments and Sending Forth will take place at 7 p.m. on Tuesday, June 6, in the sanctuary. Participating clergy will gather at 6:30 p.m. in the gym (Coats Hall) to "robe-up." Security will be provided during the service. Clergy may wear robe or alb. Please wear red stole. (NOTE this robing room is a location change from a previous announcement.)
YOUTH ANNUAL GATHERING | June 3-4 right before Annual Conference, but at a different location | DETAILS
- CAR WASH benefit for Congo Women Arise / Mama Lynn Center on Saturday, June 3. | DETAILS
YOUNG PEOPLE'S ADDRESS | DETAILS The extended deadline (May 8) to submit has passed.
DENMAN EVANGELISM AWARDS | DETAILS The deadline to nominate (May 8) has passed.
RESOLUTIONS and PETITIONS | DETAILS | The deadline to submit (April 1) has passed.
SPECIAL MEAL EVENTS (deadlines vary by event)
- CLERGY SPOUSE LUNCHEON | DETAILS
- CLERGY WOMEN DINNER | DETAILS
- LAITY LUNCH | DETAILS
- LAY SERVANT LUNCH | DETAILS
- MARTIN METHODIST COLLEGE DINNER | DETAILS
- RETIREE LUNCH (Board of Pensions) | DETAILS
- SEMINARY MEALS | Contact seminary for information.
- WESLEYAN COVENANT ASSOCIATION DINNER | Email email@example.com
April 15 is deadline to request AV media projection.
Email Rev. Bill Lawson at firstname.lastname@example.org
May 10 is deadline to request and coordinate catered meal events.
Email Brenda Schingle at email@example.com.
AV DEADLINES FOR APPROVED PRESENTERS The deadline has passed.
- Deadline to submit AV media is April 15. Submit to firstname.lastname@example.org
- For media specs, contact Rev. Bill Lawson | email@example.com
- For information about approved presenters, contact Robbin McCoy | firstname.lastname@example.org | 731-664-8480
- XApril 1: Deadline to submit resolutions & petitions | DETAILS
- XApril 14: Deadline for submissions for young people's address | DETAILS (This deadline was extended to May 8.)
- XApril 15: Deadline for final AV media from approved presenters | See above under "AV Deadlines"
- XApril 15: Deadline for AV requests for meal events | See above under "Special Meal Events"
- XApril 15: Deadline for annual conference (session) budget needs from approved chairs and committees| email@example.com
- XApril 30: Deadline to request display & exhibit space | DETAILS
- XMay 8: Deadline to submit nominations for Denman evangelism awards | DETAILS
- XMay 8: Deadline for submissions for young people's address | DETAILS (The previous deadline was April 14.)
- XMay 10: Deadline to request and coordinate catered meal events | See above under "Special Meal Events"
- XMay 15: Deadline for clergy and lay delegates to pre-register | DETAILS
- XMay 15: Deadline for youth and youth groups to register for Youth Annual Gathering | DETAILS
- XMay 15: Deadline for retirees to reply to attend retiree lunch | DETAILS
- XMay 4-15: Deadlines (vary by hotel) for special hotel rates | DETAILS
- XMay 20: Deadline to register for childcare (nursery and kids' camp) | DETAILS
- XMay 22: Deadline for clergy spouses to make reservation for clergy spouse luncheon | DETAILS
- XMay 23: Deadline for clergy women to make reservation clergy women dinner | DETAILS
- XMay 23: Deadline for clergy and clergy spouses on HealthFlex to register for Tuesday morning "Blueprint for Wellness" screening | DETAILS
- XMay 25: Deadline to request language translation services | DETAILS
- XMay 25: Deadline to purchase tickets for laity lunch | DETAILS
- XJune 2: Deadline to make reservation for lay servant lunch | DETAILS
10 a.m. to Noon - Collierville United Methodist Church
- XNov. 9, 2017
- XJan. 26, 2017
- XFeb. 9, 2017
- XMarch 9, 2017
- XApril 20, 2017
- XMay 16, 2017
Choose your store
or scan the QR code to download
new and improved Memphis Conference MOBILE APP
with 2017 Annual Conference materials and information.
Friendly suggestion: Download BEFORE you get to Annual Conference.