180th Session | June 2-4, 2019(Note revised end date. Previously it was June 5.)
The Memphis Conference of The United Methodist Church welcomes all to its 2019 Annual Conference. There are opportunities for worship, learning and celebration during this time of Holy Christian conferencing. The event and space is not just for clergy and lay delegates, but for all generations of United Methodists and persons of other denominations. While visitors and observers are encouraged to participate in the full “family reunion-style” life of annual conference, they are not eligible or permitted to vote during business sessions. Anyone not able to be present in Collierville is encouraged to watch online via live streaming.
A MESSAGE OF INVITATION & WELCOME
Video Welcome by Bishop Bill McAlilly | 1:16 | Click Here
Collierville United Methodist Church
Main campus - 454 W. Poplar Ave., Collierville, TN
- Driving Directions
- Map - Church Campus (with activity/room assignments)
PARKING / SHUTTLES
- Map - Parking Lot
- There will be two pop-up tents in the parking lot where delegates may wait for six-passenger golf cart shuttles Sunday afternoon, June 2, through Tuesday evening, June 4. At least two carts will run the entire time with the third cart at peak times.
XMarch 15 - Display Requests | DETAILS
HOTELS | DETAILS | Rates & deadlines vary by hotel.
XApril 3 - Resolutions & Petitions | DETAILS
XApril 30 - Nominations for delegates to 2020 General Conference | DETAILS
XApril 30 - Room reservations for meal events (space is limited: first come/first served) | Email group size & other details to firstname.lastname@example.org
XMay 1 - Approved AV Items | Email items, inquiries, etc. to email@example.com
XMay 10 - Registrations & payments for Youth Annual Gathering | DETAILS
XMay 10 - Nominations for Denman Evangelism Awards | DETAILS
XMay 10 - Pre-Registration for Lay & Clergy Delegates | Scroll down for instructions
XMay 14 - Reservations & payments for Black Methodists for Church Renewal Lunch | DETAILS
XMay 14 - Reservations & payments for Laity Lunch | DETAILS
XMay 15 - Reservations for Retiree Lunch | DETAILS
XMay 17 - Final headcounts for catered meals at church | Email firstname.lastname@example.org
XMay 20 - Registrations for childcare (nursery & kids camp) | Word Form | PDF Form
May 25 - Reservations for Spanish translation assistance for delegates & guests | PDF Form | Email completed form to email@example.com OR mail completed form to Elyse Bell, Memphis Conference Office, 24 Corporate Blvd., Jackson, TN 38305
May 27 - Reservations for Lay Servant Lunch | DETAILS
WORSHIP BOOKLET | DETAILS (28-page PDF)
- Memphis Conference Outreach Agencies/Ministries: The offering will be divided equally among the Memphis Conference's seven outreach agencies/ministries: Hannah's Hope Adoption and Pregnancy Counseling, Lakeshore Camp and Retreat Center, Memphis Conference Disaster Response Ministry, Project Transformation, Reelfoot Rural Ministries, United Methodist Neighborhood Centers and Western Kentucky United Methodist Family Services. Churches are encouraged to receive an offering at home and bring that offering to Annual Conference. Make checks payable to "Memphis Conference UMC" and designate "Outreach." This offering will be received during Sunday evening worship service and Monday morning laity session.
- The Jerusalem Fund: The Jerusalem Fund is a confidential ministry of the Memphis Conference that provides assistance to Memphis Conference clergy facing short-term financial hardships. Begun in 1994, the fund is administered out of the Bishop’s Office. District Superintendents receive requests or may make recommendations for grants. Make checks payable to "Memphis Conference UMC" and designate "Jerusalem Fund." This offering will be received during Monday morning clergy session and Monday evening ordination service.
EXHIBITS and DISPLAYS
BREAKFAST ITEMS, LUNCH & REFRESHMENTS
INFORMATION FOR LAY & CLERGY DELEGATESDelegate Orientation Video | very important for ALL lay & clergy delegates (returning & first time) to watch now | 6 minutes | WATCH HERE BEFORE PRE-REGISTRATION
Christian/Holy Conferencing Guidelines | All delegates should read, understand and follow these guidelines | DETAILS
Closed Bar of the Conference | Only credentialed delegates will be allowed to sit within the Bar of the Conference, which will be the entire main floor of the sanctuary. All attendees who are not delegates (spouses, guests, alternate delegates not serving) will sit in the balcony. This measure will facilitate more accurate voice voting, the use of paper ballots for the resolution on creation of a new conference on Monday afternoon, and security of keypad voting devices on Tuesday. | Questions? Email Dr. David Russell | firstname.lastname@example.org
Keypad Voting: For the first time, the Memphis Annual Conference will use keypad voting devices for the election of 2020 General Conference and Jurisdictional Conference delegates. Click HERE for keypad voting instructions in PowerPoint. (PDF Version). This is a Power Point document that should be viewed and/or printed before arrival at annual conference. If a delegate needs assistance reading or downloading the file, they should contact their church pastor/office and/or district office. Questions? Email Dr. David Russell | email@example.com
- All lay and clergy delegates (even those who might not attend) should pre-register.
- Deadline to pre-register is Friday, May 10. If you miss deadline, print form, complete it, and bring it when you check in.
- If you need childcare or Spanish language translation, look elsewhere on this page for links to that information. If those are not yet posted, please check back.
- Begin here with instructions. This will lead to links for online and paper pre-registration. ENGLISH | SPANISH
- Sunday, June 2, 2 to 4:30 p.m., Narthex, Collierville United Methodist Church. Find your district table.
- Monday, June 3, 7:30 a.m. to noon, Narthex, Collierville United Methodist Church. Find your district table.
- Late Arrivals: Any delegates who arrive after delegate check-in tables close on Monday will have to locate their district superintendent or the conference secretary to check in and receive voting credentials. Because this can be difficult in the midst of the busy agenda, delegates are strongly encouraged to arrive during the scheduled check-in times so they can be ready to perform their delegate responsibilities.
Delegate Business Materials - It is each delegate's responsibility to arrive at Annual Conference with below materials organized in whatever form works best for the delegate to perform his/her duties -- print or electronic. If assistance is needed printing or preparing these materials, a delegate should contact her church/pastor and/or district office. Scroll down to "Technical Communications" section for information about the mobile app which will provide access to these materials.Action Items
- Organizing Motions from Conference Secretary | DETAILS (2-page PDF)
- 2020 Budget | DETAILS (6-page PDF) Questions? Email firstname.lastname@example.org
- 2020 Budget Summary Brochure | DETAILS (4-page PDF) Questions? (updated 5-21-19) Email email@example.com
- Policy Recommendations from Council on Finance & Administration (CFA) | DETAILS (3-page PDF)
- New Conference Resolution with exhibits | DETAILS (10-page PDF)
- Hispanic-Latino Strategic Plan | DETAILS (5-page PDF)
- 2019 Resolutions & Petitions | ENGLISH | ESPAÑOL (5-page PDF)
- Nominees for Delegates to 2020 General and Jurisdictional Conferences | DETAILS (news article with PDF links)
- Nominees for Memphis Conference Board of Ordained Ministry | DETAILS (3-page PDF) (updated 5-21-19)
- Nominees for Memphis Conference Agency and Ministry Boards | DETAILS (28-page PDF)
- Check back for more.
- Ministry and Board Reports | DETAILS (64-page PDF)
- Amended bylaws for United Methodist Foundation for the Memphis and Tennessee Conferences | DETAILS (8-page PDF)
- Check back for more.
INFORMATION FOR CLERGYRobing instructions for Service of Licensing, Commissioning and Ordination at 7 pm on Monday, June 3, in sanctuary -- Participating clergy will gather at 6:30 pm in the gym (Coates Hall) to “robe up.” Security will be provided during the service. Clergy may wear a robe or alb. Please wear a red stole. ~ Autura Eason-Williams, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Live Stream | All sessions at Collierville United Methodist Church, except the laity and clergy sessions on Monday, June 3. Check back for link.
- Social Media | Facebook um_
memphisconf | Twitter @UM_MemphisConf | Instagram um_memphisconf
- Hashtags | | #2019MAC | #bettertogether | #AroundMemphisConferenceUMC | #MemphisConferenceUMC
- Mobile App | Find it HERE Friendly suggestion: Download BEFORE you arrive.
- Important Message for delegates & visitors & observers: The Memphis Conference Communications Team reminds all attendees that most all sessions will be live-streamed for people all over the world to see/hear. With today's technology, there might be others around you making recordings. Remember to act and speak as if a camera or microphone is on you at all times. Worship sessions will be recorded and later posted to the conference website to view and download. Business sessions will be live-streamed, but will not be posted to the conference website. ~ Carla Taylor, Chair, Memphis Conference Communications Team
Tech-Minded Volunteers Needed | A Tech Help Desk will operate throughout Annual Conference to support electronic voting devices, mobile app, translation headsets and more. Volunteers are especially needed Tuesday, June 4, from 7 to 8:30 a.m. Please volunteer! | DETAILS
Name Tags | Only voting delegates and official guests of the Memphis Annual Conference receive name tags. Non-voting spouses, walk-ins, persons volunteering at display tables or in other capacities do not receive name tags.
Help Project 20/20 | Project 20/20 will have a table in the exhibit/display area. Clergy and laity are encouraged to check donation boxes in their churches and communities and bring contents (eyeglasses and sunglasses) to donate to Project 20/20. | DETAILS
Sign Language for Hearing Impaired | This service will be offered during worship services.
2019 Retiree Class Farewell Letters | DETAILS (18-page PDF)
Cell Phone Charging Stations | Look for signs and check map.
Medical Assistance | Look for signs and check map.
What is Annual Conference? | Watch video by Chuck Knows Church
Tourism information | Collierville Chamber of Commerce
- Bishop William T. (Bill) McAlilly
- Memphis Annual Conference Planning Team
- Metro District Host Committee
- Collierville United Methodist Church Host Committee
- Connectional Ministries staff, led by Director Dr. Joe Geary: 731-664-8480, email@example.com