Director of Children's Ministries
Contact: Rev'd Dr. Jonathan L. Jeffords
Organization: St. John's United Methodist Church
Address 1: 1207 Peabody Ave.
City: MemphisState: TN 38104
Director of Children’s Ministries
To guide an emerging children’s program into sustainable vitality
and the children of St. John’s further into their discipleship and missional identity.
St. John’s United Methodist Church:
St. John’s is an urban church in midtown Memphis focusing on servant ministry, recovery and wholeness. As a Reconciling Congregation it is in the Reconciling Ministries Network. Our Welcoming Statement is as follows:
Glad embrace of this statement and the witness it represents is essential for a successful candidate.
St. John's welcomes everyone. Our hearts, minds, and doors are open to people of all ages, races, nationalities, sexual orientations, gender identities, theological identities, economic status, disabilities, and people who sojourn on the way to recovery and wholeness. We are a diverse community whose discipleship to Jesus Christ is demonstrated through our deep commitment to servant ministry. Welcome Home!
- Candidate must be familiar with United Methodist theology and doctrine and resonant in spirit with St. John’s United Methodist Church, as a reconciling congregation.
- Basic familiarity to the concepts of childhood development
- Enrolled in a post-secondary program, or a college graduate (an associate’s degree is considered a college graduate)
- Background check required by Safe Sanctuary policy
- Valid driver’s license
Responsibilities for Director of Children’s Ministries
- Assure compliance with safe sanctuary policies
- Plan, Resource and lead/teach Children’s Sunday school including scheduling, resourcing and training teachers.
- Plan and Resource Summer Art program for children.
- Work with Youth Director where programs overlap (Vacation Bible School, Easter Egg Hunt, Children’s Sabbath, End of year cook-out, Fall Festival, Advent Workshop and Family Christmas)
- Implement a strategy of regular communications among parents, staff and congregation, including a weekly email
- Preparing worship materials for preschool aged children.
- Coordinate crucifer/acolyte schedule
- Collaborate with worship staff to insure points of contact with children during the worship experience.
- Serve as Chairperson of the Children’s Committee
- Plan/Lead Monthly Parent’s Night Out
- Plan/Coordinate special children’s activities
- Develop Budget for Children’s Ministry
- Plan and lead Children’s Sermon
Reports to Senior/Lead Pastor
Accountability with Staff Parish Relations Committee