Administrative Assistant for Children's Ministry
Contact: Jennie Stockard
Organization: Brentwood UMC
Address 1: 309 Franklin Road
City: BrentwoodState: TN 37027
Administrative Assistant for Children's Ministry
Position Type: Non-Exempt
Category: Regular, Three-Quarter position (35 hours)
Reports to: Director of Children’s Ministry
Ministry Summary: Provide administrative support for the Children’s Ministry Staff by coordinating day-to-day operations in the Children Office and work with the staff as a team to integrate the vision and mission of BUMC Children’s Ministry.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are a representative of the knowledge, skills and/or abilities required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
- Use BUMC approved software to maintain database of children, adults, and volunteers to include attendance, background checks, Safe Sanctuary training, web-based registrations, medical release forms, and other data-management tasks as assigned
- Reserve event/meeting space using BUMC approved software
- Send emails and other communications to children/parents as needed
- Work with all BUMC departments (e.g. Finance, Facilities, Communications, etc.) as required to ensure proper processes, guidelines and procedures are being followed
- Collaborate with children’s ministry staff and lay leaders to accomplish department goals
- Assist with event and retreat logistics, registration and coordination as assigned
- Send letter & flyer to first time guests & visitors as requested
- Compile Rosebud Ministry bags and connect with volunteers to deliver the bags
- Provide calendar management for department being proactive in looking ahead for upcoming events
- Maintain Children’s Ministry Calendar along with the overall church calendar
ADMINISTRATIVE & FINANCIAL DUTIES
- Oversee paperwork for administration of the children’s budget
- Answer telephone and greet office visitors
- Manage upkeep of office equipment and coordinate purchase of supplies/curriculum for programs and events
- Prepare, create, and send postcards, flyers, emails, and/or brochures for events Compile minutes of children’s staff meetings
- Prepare and keep up with PO’s with vendors
- Back up Reception Desk weekly as scheduled
WEB-PAGE AND DATABASE DUTIES
- Timely and accurate data entry, management and up-keep of database information for children’s ministry, maintaining and tracking attendance for programs and events
- Run Arena database reports and prepare presentations of data as assigned
- Manage participant registration for Children’s Ministry events in eSpace software
- Coordinate scheduling of rooms and other facility related needs in eSpace software
- Post content provided by assigned staff to webpages and social media sites
- Import data and develop communication using MailChimp
- High level of competency in Word, Excel, Outlook, and PowerPoint and ability to learn other computer programs quickly and use them proficiently (e.g. Arena church management system, eSpace for event scheduling and registration)
- Understanding of basic finance and budgeting processes
- Competency in web-based technology
- Effective written and verbal communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills with a strong attention to detail and accuracy and the ability to work independently, multi-task, prioritize, and manage time.
- Ability to manage, empower, motivate and build relationships with volunteers
- Adaptable and flexible in a changing work environment while approaching tasks with a positive attitude
- Ability to handle sensitive information with the highest degree of integrity and confidentiality
- Strong relational skills and the ability to handle sensitive/crisis situations with compassion
- Self-starter who takes initiative and anticipates needs of the department
- Enjoys a team environment and is service-oriented
Education and Experience Requirements
- Two (2) to three (3) years of administrative office experience
- Associate degree preferred
This position does not have supervisory responsibility.
This position operates in an office setting that involves everyday risks or discomforts requiring normal safety precautions. The position routinely uses standard office equipment.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee will be in an office environment. Position can be sedentary and is required to talk, hear, stand, walk, and sit. Employee must be able to stand for long periods of time providing hospitality and coordination of funerals, memorial services, family receptions, and other ministry events. Employee must occasionally lift or move office supplies or other items up to 25 pounds occasionally.
Expected Hours of Work
Days and hours of work are Monday – Friday, 40 hours per week. Position may require additional hours during certain projects. Occasional evening and weekend work required.
Travel is primarily local during the business day, although some out-of-the area and overnight travel may be expected.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed
by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties,
responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.