Director of Children and Youth
Contact: Kyle Bomar
Organization: Somerville First United Methodist church
Address 1: 202 South East Street
City: SomervilleState: TN 38068
The Director of Children and Youth Ministries will be responsible for the development and implementation of a program
directed at assisting children and youth in their spiritual growth and educating them to serve Christ with their lives. This is a
full-time position requiring 40 hours per week with flexibility as needed.
- Be familiar with current youth culture. Keep the trends and issues important to children and youth to allow counseling in a language, which they understand and respect.
- Coordinate and teach Confirmation classes in partnership with the pastor and provide leadership for confirmands, mentors, and parents beyond the classroom.
- Develop and implement retreats, mission experiences, activities, and other events to help youth grow in their relationship with Christ and servant discipleship.
- Manage the Children and Youth Ministries budget.
- Develop youth leaders to minister and/or mentor other children and youth.
- Recruit, train, direct, and provide structure and support for children and youth volunteers.
- Work with other staff to integrate youth into the life of the church.
- Be available to minister to and counsel youth and their parents.
- Be a liaison between the church and other community organizations, people, and resources that relate to youth and youth ministries.
- Coordinate Sunday school curriculum for children and youth and recruit volunteer teachers.
- Communicate in a timely manner and as effectively as possible using all available resources (e.g., e-mail, website, bulletin, newsletter, bulletin board, etc.) with church staff, parents, and the congregation as a whole.
- Ensure that the Safe Sanctuary Policy is observed in all children and youth ministry settings.
- Create and implement in partnership with the pastor worship opportunities for children and youth for special services (e.g. Ash Wednesday, Easter activities, Day of the Child, Christmas Eve, etc.).
- Coordinate and implement special events (e.g., youth fundraisers, Vacation Bible School, etc.).
- Be available to youth in a variety of ways (e.g., lunch at school, attendance at extracurricular activities, visitation, times of crisis, etc.)
- Requirements include:
-Must embrace Christian discipline and United Methodist doctrine and theology.
-B.S./B.A. in a relevant discipline is preferred. Four to six years’ equivalent work experience will be considered.
-Administrative skills necessary to organize a budget, plan programs, organize fund-raisers, etc.
-Excellent verbal and written communication and strong technology/office skills.
Job Type: Full-time