Contact: Alice Grunau
Organization: Tennessee Conference of the UMC
Address 1: 304 S. Perimeter Park Dr.
City: NashvilleState: TN 37211
Job Title: Conference Archivist
The Tennessee Conference Archivist is responsible for maintaining and increasing the conference archival holdings. This includes providing prompt response and/or access to historians and individuals researching genealogy, local church history, denominational historical interest, general regional historical interest, a familiarity with the United Methodist Church is considered essential to the maintaining of this position. Incumbent must be able to interpret relevancy of historical items and historical occurrences, movements and events as they relate to the conference’s holdings. Demonstrated experience and training in archival presentation and museum curation is required. Incumbent must staff the historical depository during weekday hours.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Minimum two years’ experience in archives, history or related field
- Degree in theology, history, or archival preservation required
- Demonstrated experience in usage/maintenance of religious archival collections.
- Recommended membership in the United Methodist Church OR membership in local congregation of another denomination
- Clearly demonstrated familiarity with UM denominational structures, processes and polity
- Familiarity with United Methodist historical collections, organizations, and archival processes
- Demonstrated ability to use Microsoft Office software
- Ability to attend meetings (local and national locales) as necessary
- Demonstrated skills in research and presentation
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Knowledge of grant sources
- Experience with budgeting and other managerial skills
- Experience with/ability to supervise staff and volunteers
- Capability of conducting workshops and training events for local church historians
- Capability of interpreting historical documents and events as to relevance to research requests and current UM conference programming needs.
- Ability to evaluate the breadth of archival holdings and make appropriate acquisitions and deletions as appropriate to maintain a maximally effective collection
- Ability to curate a museum collection and exhibit of Methodist artifacts of relevance
- Ability to lift or move objects up to 25 pounds.
- Available to maintain office hours, Monday through Friday, at archive office
Allowable Substitutions: Combination of education, experience and/or training that provides the required knowledge and skills for the position may be considered in lieu of education/experience at the organization’s discretion. For example, an acceptable certification in archive management and experience may be substituted at the organization’s determination.
Job Type: Full-time.
Contact Information and Procedure:
Qualified applicants, please send letter of interest and resume to email@example.com
Posting Closing Date: Please apply by Wednesday, October 10, 2018.