Director of Music Ministry
Contact: Rev. Lora Jean Gowan or John Sparks
Organization: Broadway United Methodist Church
Address 1: 701 Broadway St.
City: PaducahState: KY 42001
Broadway United Methodist Church in Paducah, KY is now accepting applications for a part-time, salaried Director of Music position. Broadway is in the heart of a vibrant and artistic downtown community and has rich history within the community of Paducah, KY. The music ministry, which provides music for the weekly services, includes an adult choir, handbell choir, and children’s choirs. The candidate should be a Christian, have knowledge and understanding of sacred music and the liturgical year, and have prior experience with leading and directing choirs and instrumentalists. Broadway is a progressive community that embraces traditional worship and being a part of the world it serves. Projected start date for the position is July/August 1, 2018.
To lead people of all ages in the congregation in music-making experiences so that they:
- May grow in understanding the Christian faith and music’s role in that faith
- Develop and strengthen their relationship with God
- Will become better equipped for daily living as faithful Christian disciples
Responsibilities of the Music Director:
- To coordinate the planning and implementation of a comprehensive music ministry for the congregation
- To plan and implement a traditional music worship setting each Sunday
- To keep the congregation informed about the music needs of people, the goals of the music program, and the resources available that will help the congregation reach these goals
- To promote the spiritual life of the congregation and its members through music ministry
- To be responsible for guiding the work of the music program through the year
- To conduct weekly rehearsals with the Chancel Choir (August-mid June)
- To direct or supervise the direction of the Children’s Choirs
- To direct and or supervise the direction of the Handbell Choir
- To plan worship services with the Senior pastor and Liturgist
- To arrange for soloist, ensembles, or any other special music for the summer months when the Chancel Choir is on summer break
- To be able to conduct any guest instrumental ensembles in conjunction with the chancel choir and organ
- To attend state, regional and or national events for continuing education
For more information and inquiries, please go to bumc-paducah.org or call the church office at (270) 443-2401. Resumes and a cover letter may be sent here.