'Help Those Hurt by Harvey' is name of month-long campaign at Temple UMC in Millington, TN
“Help Those Hurt by Harvey” is the name of a campaign at Temple United Methodist Church throughout the month of September.
Rev. D'Leigh Harvell, pastor of the Millington, Tennessee, church, said members of her congregation find their hearts breaking in reaction to the loss and devastation left by Hurricane/Tropical Storm Harvey.
The church has as its goal to raise a minimum of $750 for United Methodist Committee on Relief (UMCOR).
If the church meets its goal, Harvell has promised to prepare a pancake breakfast on Sunday, Oct. 8. And if the church raises at least $1,000, she has stated she will dye her hair orange for Halloween.
The church's month-long campaign includes the following fundraising activities:
- Sausage-Biscuit Sale, Sweet Tooth Silent Auction AND “Pie the Preacher for $2” on Sunday, Sept. 10
- Crafts & White Elephant Sales on Sunday, Sept. 17
- Sausage-Biscuit Sale AND Delicious Dinner Silent Auction on Sunday, Sept. 24
- Car Wash on Saturday, Sept. 30
- Love offerings every Sunday
- Month-long sales of “I Love My Church” t-shirts and church notecards
- A drawing (from purchased chances) for a framed photograph of the church